Experimental and Analytical Services
for Roll-to-Roll Products
Proving your concepts ... to enable your production
Use our Media Conveyance Facility (MCF) to help you develop and improve your product handling.
Optimation's 5,000 sq. ft. Media Conveyance Facility (MCF) features experimental and analytical web handling facilities, equipment and development engineering support, custom machine capability and training.
We offer you the flexibility to solve all types of web-related production problems, test new product features, characterize and quantify capital project investments without the cost and burden of running a laboratory of your own or diverting costly production time to pursue in-house experiments. Our configurable facility and team can customize equipment to client's product and process development needs.
We Work with You to Solve Your Problems
Evaluate/troubleshoot existing process capability, recommend improvement options, model and test selected upgrades.
- Tracking Roller
- Wear Tension (Bagginess / Strain)
- Excess Waste
- Determined root cause / corrective action to eliminate fiberglass web lateral tracking issues and reduce roller wear in fiberglass coating facility.
- Provided on-site winding characterization of a multi-layer blown film process, followed by winding recommendations to enabled client to improve web bagginess issues.
Product characterization, process system analysis and customer requirements, process machine configurations and specifications, detailed design, build, install and commissioning.
- New Product Production Characterization
- Capital Project Justification
- Utilized Optimation's MCF to develop and demonstrate robust conveyance components and a web path system to enable wrinkle-free conveyance of new product in an existing production machine.
- Provided winding and conveyance machine commissioning for a new copper foil manufacturing facility for winding optimization, enhanced process understanding, elimination of conveyance defects, and increased speed capability.
Evaluate and characterize existing product, provide product conveyance and handling predictions based on measurements and modeling, recommend improvement options based on lab experiments.
- Conveyance Defects
- Developed coating machine tension models to enable process tension optimization and robust conveyance for client's paper and PET webs; this allowed the client to achieve reduced web creasing.
- Utilized Tekscan nip pressure measurement equipment and field alignment tools to perform a machine assessment and assist in the resolution of lateral tracking issues / wrinkling issues in a multi-layer film conveyance line.
OEM Machine/Component Development
Analyze and model equipment performance based on machine design; test performance of critical machine parameters; provide machine specifications based on models and experimental testing.
- Roller Design Characterization
- Web Path Specifications
- Provided testing data and video demonstrating the effectiveness of a roller manufacturer's unique vented roller surface.
- Assisted machine equipment manufacturer to develop robust roller design and web path requirements specific to their webs.