Plastics manufacturing involves materials science, engineering, and business and process management. Optimation's plastics process engineers work with customers, designers, materials and equipment suppliers, machine builders, operators, quality engineers, business managers, among others. Solutions many involve process development or improvement, research, and machinery design.
The Optimation team has experience covering all facets of the film and plastics industry including, but not limited to, food packaging through optical grade film manufacturing and coating, resin manufacturing and transport, wide-web conveyance and converting. We have process design experts and skilled trade professionals to develop, build and commission both prototype and production applications.
- Optical Grade Film (examples: Car Windshields and Computer Screens)
- Rigid, Blown and Foam Film Manufacturing and Converting
- Plastic Bottle Manufacturing
- Photographic Paper and Film Manufacturing and Finishing
Example Application Expertise:
- Up to 10-layer solution hopper modeling and design
- Multiple layer precision solution coating on both sides of the web and associated drying sections
- Extrusion flat die modeling and design for uniform resin properties
- Advanced web thickness control via die body and lips heaters
- Precision control of extruder melt temperatures and pressures
- Minimization of inclusions and surface defects
- Multi-zone coordination for web tension control and conveyance
- Web tempering and tension control for MD and TD orientation with minimal thickness variability and consistent orientation
- Precision control of product parameters, including planarity, shrinkage, DSC temperature / crystallinity and optical density
- Film edge knurling
- In-line product imperfection scanning and defect recordkeeping
Media Conveyance Facility (MCF)
Leverage our media conveyance facility for process development and production. Work with our experts to test out your new product concepts and verify research hypotheses. See our MCF Services Page.